I didn’t have a quarterback in the first round of my first mock draft, and I still don’t. But, some things have changed so I figure I should probably…well, change some things too. So here it is.
1. Kansas City – Luke Joekel, OT
2. Jacksonville – Star Lotulelei, DT – Remember when he was a possible first overall pick? Heart is good, so he still is.
3. Oakland – Sharrif Floyd, DT – This pick makes sense, so it probably won’t happen…
4. Philly – Eric Fisher, OT
5. Detroit – Dee Milliner, CB
6. Cleveland – Ezekiel Ansah, DE – Raw, but looks like the real deal. Way higher than I had him earlier.
7. Arizona – Lane Johnson, OT
8. Buffalo – Dion Jordan, LB
9. Jets – Chance Warmack, G
10. Tennessee – Sheldon Richardson, DT
11. San Diego – Tyler Eifert, TE – Yeah, you heard me. A certain HOF tight end in S.D. ain’t getting any younger.
12. Miami – Barkevious Mingo, DE
13. Jets (from Tampa) – Tavon Austin, WR – Two high picks, address the line, address Mark Sanchez’ lack of weapons. This would be a good draft for them…
14. Carolina – Jonathan Cooper, G
15. New Orleans – Bjoern Werner, DE – He’s falling, for some reason, in other mocks. I don’t get it. If you like Chris Long, you should like Werner.
16. St. Louis – Cordarelle Patterson, WR – Because the whole project thing worked out soooo well with Brian Quick, they figure they’ll just make the same mistake twice… because that’s what the Rams do. 17. Pittsburgh – Kenny Vaccaro, S – Polamalu does get hurt from time to time… and Vaccaro is good…
18. Dallas – Alec Ogletree, LB – Personally, I think they trade down. But if not, Ogletree’s talent is too much to pass on.
19. Giants – DJ Fluker, OT
20. Chicago – DJ Hayden, CB – From near death to the first round, great story comes full circle. Plus, by putting him here, I have consecutive DJs being drafted… and that’s just cool…
21. Cincy – Eddie Lacy, RB
22. St. Louis – Jonathan Cyprien, S – I can only pray…
23. Minnesota – Sylvester Williams, DT – There’s this thing there with guys named Williams on the defensive line…
24. Indianapolis – Menelik Watson, OT
25. Minnesota (from Seattle) – Justin Hunter, WR
26. Green Bay – Matt Elam, S
27. Houston – Robert Woods, WR
28. Denver – Jarvis Jones, LB – There’s really no reason he should still be on the board at this point…
29. New England – Manti Te’o, LB
30. Atlanta – Zach Ertz, TE
31. San Francisco – Xavier Rhodes, CB
32. Baltimore – Desmond Trufant, CB
Yes, there are probably some oversights here, but with only 32 teams picking in the first round, and probably 40 or so guys who deserve to go in it, someone gets shafted. That’s how it works. Kevin Minter is a first round talent. A guy like Kawann Short might go towards the end of round 1. Keenan Allen who was a slam dunk first rounder not too long ago fits. Who knows, I could be wrong about the whole quarterback thing and Denver might pick Peyton’s heir at 28. More likely, if they decide they want that from this draft, they target Mike Glennon in Round 2. But anyway, wouldn’t it be hilarious if I got more picks right my first time around?